POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Darren New
Date: 17 Dec 2007 17:22:39
Message: <4766f6af$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> I missed the part that there was exactly 1 writer.

Well, depends on the table. There's a few that get real-time data feeds
from exactly one supplier. There are others that everyone writes to, but
each writer has its own keyspace (such as the table that stores all the
debugging output, keyed by host name, PID, and timestamp).

> I thought you were
> just saying that you only ever write to one end of the table. [This
> condition alone obviously doesn't preclude Bad Things.]

If nobody overwrites anything, then yes, everyone is by definition
writing to the "end" of the table. (Appending to the table, that is.)

>> A bit kludgey, I'll admit, but better than holding a transactional
>> lock on the table for 30 seconds at a time.
>
> Which is why I prefer Oracle's lock-free approach. But let's not start a
> flamewar about that too...

Well, this is optimistic locking, performed manually. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it