POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:13:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 17 Dec 2007 15:41:49
Message: <4766df0d@news.povray.org>
news:4766a4d1$1@news.povray.org...
> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
> > University != experience.
>
> True. But my point is that I'm not entirely clueless about what
> databases are and how they work. I actually know stuff about this stuff.

Yup. You know the theory. In practice however things are sometimes done
differently. Not because theory is wrong, but because sometimes shortcuts
are necessary.

In theory, you want to prevent any form of data anomaly from multiple
accesses. In reality, that often reduces concurrency to unacceptable levels,
so some possible anomolies are accepted to get higher throughput (probably
50% of the select statements done in my largest system use the read
uncommitted isolation level)

In theory, all tables should be at least 3rd normal form of Boyce-Codd
normal form. In reality, you will get tables that are intentionally in 1st
or 2nd normal form.