POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 17:44:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Dec 2007 23:11:50
Message: <4764a586$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Know something? The default is also to commit after every statement
>> on most DBs too. So? :-)
>
> Really? I've yet to see that...

Funky. It looks like oracle doesn't do transactions by default either:
http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/db/gsg_txn/C/enabletxn.html

Oh, and look. Microsoft sql server:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa213069(SQL.80).aspx

> So you're seriously telling me that the amaturish little program
> that's not even transactional by default has somehow magically become
> an enterprise-level product?

Yes.  Well, no, not magically.  By dint of hard work by dozens or
hundreds of people over the course of five or ten years.

"Are you seriously telling me this ameturish DOS thing that doesn't even
support processes has somehow magically become a serious multiuser
enterprise-level operating system?

> 5:1 time or space? On which specific database implementation? (It's
> not like it will be the same for all of them.)

Time.

> Personally, if I had the option if making the system go 5x faster,
> but possibly screw up, I'd stick with the slow mode. But apparently
> that's just me...

Except, as explained, it's not a case of "probably screw up". I have one
processes that inserts independent records into the database, and
another that looks at the most recent record with some particular
attribute. I fail to see how the lack of transactions will damage that.

> Right. And the 3 modules in database design I took during my degree looking at
different transaction isolation levevls and so forth was probably balony too - along
with the 3 A* grades I got for those modules.

You must have a different definition for "experience" than usual.

 From another part of the thread...
> It does seem a little uncalled for.

Yah. Sorry. But seriously, dude, when several someones tell you you're
wrong, and point you to the information, and it's written right there in
front of you, arguing that "you don't believe it" makes you seem kind of
dense. Especially when it's not God you're arguing about, but an
open-source well-documented program used by thousands of companies all
over the world.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it