POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:18:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Orchid XP v7
Date: 15 Dec 2007 17:40:49
Message: <476457f1$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:

> Know something? The default is also to commit after every statement on
> most DBs too. So? :-)

Really? I've yet to see that...

(We won't go into what a hugely bad idea that would be.)

> Yes, MySql *started out* tremendously simplified. But it's like you're
> complaining about how DOS looses disk clusters if you don't close the
> file properly, while evaluating XP.

So you're seriously telling me that the amaturish little program that's
not even transactional by default has somehow magically become an
enterprise-level product?

>>> Whatever you do to enforce transactional integrity? It takes resources.
>> Now that at least is a valid statement.
>
> Yah. In my experience, it's about a 5:1 ratio. When I realized that, I
> changed most of my tables to non-transactional. There's nothing I'm
> running on the tables that isn't idempotent.

5:1 time or space? On which specific database implementation? (It's not
like it will be the same for all of them.)

Personally, if I had the option if making the system go 5x faster, but
possibly screw up, I'd stick with the slow mode. But apparently that's
just me...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/