POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:19:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Dec 2007 17:15:09
Message: <476451ed$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> It just worries me that the designers of this system fundamentally think
> that transaction integrity is so unimportant that it's not even the
> default, that's all.

Know something? The default is also to commit after every statement on
most DBs too. So? :-)

Yes, MySql *started out* tremendously simplified. But it's like you're
complaining about how DOS looses disk clusters if you don't close the
file properly, while evaluating XP.

> That's only one way of implementing transactional integrity. (And, IMO,
> not a very good way.)

Actually, I think there are a number of ways to do it, depending on the
table. You can even use explicit locks to enforce at least the I of ACID
on the non-transactional tables.

>> Whatever you do to enforce transactional integrity? It takes resources.
> Now that at least is a valid statement.

Yah. In my experience, it's about a 5:1 ratio. When I realized that, I
changed most of my tables to non-transactional. There's nothing I'm
running on the tables that isn't idempotent.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it