POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 15:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: andrel
Date: 15 Dec 2007 15:08:47
Message: <47643453.6040505@hotmail.com>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Gail Shaw wrote:
>
>> Tell, me. Did you do any research on mySQL before making these claims?
>
> I heard that MySQL is this cool free database that's taking over the
> world. The KNOPPIX CDs contain it, so I thought I'd sit down and have a
> play.
>
> I was expecting great things. Maybe too great. What I actually found is
> that by default "commit" and "rollback" are no-op, and transaction
> handling is an "optional feature" that you have to explicitly enable.
>
> I decided that any database that considers something so fundamentally
> important to be "optional" is obviously not a very serious effort. Then
> I looked at the release notes and it says "yay! we now support unions",
> and I'm like "my God - you're kidding, right?"
>
> At that point, I lost interest.

There is a difference between stating that a program can not do
something and asking the p.o-t for their opinion and experience. In
practice the result here is the same, mainly because there are a lot of
friendly people here that have com to know you over the years. IRL your
mileage may vary. One of the main differences IRL is that the former
tends shuts down all communication, while the latter invites the other
to participate in an exchange of ideas.