POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How far can you go spotting goofs in movies? : Re: How far can you go spotting goofs in movies? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 13:16:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How far can you go spotting goofs in movies?
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Dec 2007 14:01:38
Message: <47642492$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I recently was at a home where they were watching TV and I got to watch
> it from really close. I was shocked at the bad quality of the image! It was
> full of mpeg compression artifacts.

So it's not just me.  (Probably the same thing in the USA going on.)

But then, I also notice compression artifacts on the analog TV
sometimes, because some part of the transfer from camera to TV goes
through a digital link.  Especially noticable if you (say) look at the
crowd behind a football player as he runs down the field with the camera
tracking.

First noticed watching Tour de France, when you (well, we) had the extra
problem of translating PAL frame rates to NTSC. Very disturbing. :-)

>   With digital TV, however, bad reception means that the broadcast stops
> playing at moments.

Yeah, and Sprint has the fewest dropped calls. How do they do it? They
turn up the time-out from 4 seconds to 9 seconds, so if you lose the
call for 6 seconds, it's not a dropped call, even tho there's no sound
going either way. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it