POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How far can you go spotting goofs in movies? : Re: How far can you go spotting goofs in movies? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How far can you go spotting goofs in movies?
From: Warp
Date: 15 Dec 2007 10:11:44
Message: <4763eeaf@news.povray.org>
> Plausible. But then, why not just manipulate the laws of physics so the
> man goes flying without having to physically kick him? :-D (Or better
> yet, make it so all the oxygen in the room mysteriously vanishes...)

  I think the movie establishes that while they can manipulate the
physics of the simulated world through their neural connection, it's
not easy and what they can do is limited. They are not all-powerful.
(After all, some people such as Neo can manipulate it more than others.)
It's plausible to think that eg. making a kick helps them manipulate
the physics more easily than trying to create the same effect without
the kick since performing a kick in the virtual world triggers some
physics simulation routines, which they can more easily just slightly
nudge to get a stronger effect. It's just a much slighter "tampering"
of the physics engine routine than it would be without the kick.

  It sounds plausible also with the overly long jumps: They just can't
manipulate the system to transport them to the roof of the other building.
They have to trigger the physics simulation by making an actual jump, and
then just "nudge" it slightly to boost the jump.

--
                                                          - Warp