POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I hate DVD as a physical media : Re: I hate DVD as a physical media Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I hate DVD as a physical media
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 15 Dec 2007 10:08:12
Message: <4763eddc$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   There's nothing else wrong with the disc, only the tiny scratch on the
> outer edge. If such a small flaw is enough to completely stop the DVD from
> being played, that's IMO a clear sign that the DVD as a format is flawed.
> One tiny scratch should not disable the entire disc just because it happens
> to be physically located at a certain place on the disc. DVDs are supposed
> to have lots of redundant information for the exact reason to avoid it being
> rendered unplayable by tiny flaws. Why can't it have redundant information
> of the most critical sections of the disc, at different parts of the disc,
> so that drives can try another copy of the critical section if one is
> unreadable?

	Do you know what DVD drive you have? On a number of occasions, I've
seen DVD's not work on generic laptop drives - only to work just fine on
my computer. Better error correction was something my drive was known
for (at the time I bought it).

--
"Honey, answer the phone."  "Okay.  BaRRING! BRRNG! BaRR"

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl