POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I hate DVD as a physical media : I hate DVD as a physical media Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:54 EDT (-0400)
  I hate DVD as a physical media
From: Warp
Date: 15 Dec 2007 08:51:50
Message: <4763dbf5@news.povray.org>
The DVD is a bad physical form of media. It's too fragile.

  I have the 4-disc edition of Titanic, and my computer has now trouble
recognizing the second disc. It's just a tiny scratch on the very outer
edge of the disc, but that's enough to make it difficult for the drive
to recognize the disc.

  There's nothing else wrong with the disc, only the tiny scratch on the
outer edge. If such a small flaw is enough to completely stop the DVD from
being played, that's IMO a clear sign that the DVD as a format is flawed.
One tiny scratch should not disable the entire disc just because it happens
to be physically located at a certain place on the disc. DVDs are supposed
to have lots of redundant information for the exact reason to avoid it being
rendered unplayable by tiny flaws. Why can't it have redundant information
of the most critical sections of the disc, at different parts of the disc,
so that drives can try another copy of the critical section if one is
unreadable?

  This sucks.

--
                                                          - Warp