POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How far can you go spotting goofs in movies? : Re: How far can you go spotting goofs in movies? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:17:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How far can you go spotting goofs in movies?
From: Warp
Date: 15 Dec 2007 04:37:21
Message: <4763a050@news.povray.org>
> That sucks. I don't really want to buy an HDTV because I can still see
> all the digital compression artifacts after working on image compression
> code for a few years.

  Finland switched to digital TV broadcasting recently (not necessarily
a good thing IMO), but I haven't bothered buying any kind of receiver
(too expensive, especially for the cable version).

  I recently was at a home where they were watching TV and I got to watch
it from really close. I was shocked at the bad quality of the image! It was
full of mpeg compression artifacts. It was almost like watching a youtube
video in full-screen.

  It seems that digital TV broadcasts use less than half the bitrate of
a typical DVD, and you can sometimes spot mpeg artifacts even in DVD movies.
No wonder the image quality of the digital TV was so bad.

  I clearly remember how they advertised digital TV as increasing the
image quality compared to analog broadcasts. BS.

--
                                                          - Warp