19 Oct 2024 19:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 15 Dec 2007 00:02:23
Message: <47635fdf$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 19:10:32 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> In article <4763246d@news.povray.org>, nos### [at] nospamcom says...
>> > One should add Hypocracy to the claim, since he not only thinks he
>> > knows better than we do about it all, he can't grasp the fact that
>> > claiming such makes him the same as the people he previously agreed
>> > where dangerous, delusional and unChristian, for making the same
>> > exact claims.
>>
>> Hypocrisy:  The assuming of a false appearance of virtue or goodness,
>> with dissimulation of real character or inclinations, esp. in respect
>> of religious life or beliefs; hence in general sense, dissimulation,
>> pretence, sham. Also, an instance of this.
>>
>> I don't think that's the word you're looking for.  The phrase
>> "Cognitive Dissonance" comes to mind, though, as a possible
>> alternative.
>>
> No, it does fit. He claimed that televangelist and others are *not* the
> sort of Christian he is, because they spend a lot of time *claiming* to
> have a superior morality and vision of the truths of the world than
> everyone else, and he personally knew they where wrong, but then went on
> to use the same claims of moral superiority and greater vision of the
> truths of the world to condemn the rest of us for not admitting to the
> obvious genius and understanding "he" had about such things.

I don't know, it doesn't seem like as good a fit to me as it seems to to
you....

But the problem with the televangelist types is not that they claim to be
superior or have all the information; it's that they want all of your
money - and that's the only thing they're interested in, is convincing
people who can't afford it to part with their money by giving it to them.

Jim