POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Dec 2007 20:05:56
Message: <47632874$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 14 Dec 2007 18:20:24 -0600, Mueen Nawaz wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> 	Great book.
>>>
>>> 	I think it's incorrect to refer to him as a sci/fi writer, though.
>>
>> What do you think would be a better classification?
>
> 	A "good" writer?<G>

Life in the library would certainly be easier if the dewey decimal system
included numbers for "good" and "bad" writers.  That'd make it easier to
know which books to avoid, that's for sure.  As mentioned before, L. Ron
Hubbard certainly would belong in the "really crap writer" section from
my experience.

> 	Don't know. It's just that I think most of his work is entirely
> unrelated to sci-fi, and even most of his "sci-fi" stories are somewhat
>  incidentally sci-fi. As Darren would put it, you could take (most of)
> those stories, remove the sci-fi elements, and the story is still more
> or less the same. The science aspect was not important in most of his
> stories.

Maybe, but I like books in the sci-fi genre that don't depend on the
science other than to be a storytelling tool.  I think of the authors
I've read, though, Michael Creighton comes the closest to a "pure"
science-fiction definition.

Jim