19 Oct 2024 17:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Dec 2007 19:57:37
Message: <47632681@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 22:01:19 -0500, nemesis wrote:

> Sabrina Kilian <"ykgp at vtSPAM.edu"> wrote:
>> Tell me how, in any way shape or form, a 2 year old getting cancer and
>> dying painfully fits into any plan to make the rest of the world a
>> better place.
>
> A painful departure always creates a change of heart to those who stay.
> It may also happen to those truly faithful, in which case I see it as
> provation.

That's called "rationalization".  Sometimes senseless acts are just that
- senseless.

>> Can God stop it if he wanted to?
>
> yes, He's God Almighty.
>
>> Why doesn't he?
>
> Maybe he wants to interfere as little in actions resulted from free will
> as possible.  Who am I to answer?

Ah, so God *won't* stop you stealing that HDTV, PS3, and other stuff you
mentioned before?

>> Why should I worship some one/thing that wouldn't stop these things
>> from happening?
>
> Because regardless of evil I have respect for the being that created
> all.

There is no evidence to suggest that God created everything.

>> Show me an actual miracle.
>
> A miracle is born everyday.  Are you expecting something extraordinaire
> and of a big scale?
>
> is this good enough?:
> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061024.html

That's not a miracle, that's explainable through science.  Just because
you don't understand the science behind it doesn't mean that science
doesn't exist.

> thing of how many souls will die and suffer in the collision!

So miracles that God creates make souls suffer?

> Of
> course, it may be that such events are so slow that the intelligent
> beings there already fled...

Interstellar travel?

>> They were so common in the OT days, and Jesus performed them on street
>> corners.
>
> Those were the days of the covenant and God was more actively
> influencing the world.  Please, respect Jesus by not comparing him to
> some sort of David Blaine.

Respect is not granted, it is earned.

>> Why, all these years later, are we
>> asked to take it on faith that one book tells the truth and other books
>> tell lies?
>
> Because it is the Word of God.  Can it be all just a bunch of poems,
> folk tales, outright lies and hopes from schizoids or downright liars?
> Yes.  How can I be sure it is true?  I can't.
>
> I don't base my judgement on logic or evidence, but on faith alone.  Why
> do I have faith then?  Because the History of God's people as described
> by the Bible makes sense to me.  Because I've been witness of God's
> subtle way into the world.

God's creation of the heavens and the earth in 7 days makes sense to
you?  Even though there is scientific evidence that contradicts what's in
the Bible?

> BTW, it reminded me of a joke:
> A Father and a Rabbi were out to watch some boxing. Before the fight,
> the boxer in blue shorts made the sign of the cross. The Rabbi asked the
> Father:  "What does that mean anyway?" The Father retorted:  "Nothing,
> if he doesn't know how to fight."

Now *that* I like. :-)

>> while I disagree with your belief and simply don't agree with it, the
>> few quirky statements offering to pray for the 'non-believers' shows
>> that you don't really respect those who don't share your belief.
>
> sorry about the offer for pray.  It clearly generated more evil than
> good. fucked up world...

You keep saying "fucked up world" because people disagree with you.  I
say the world would be fucked up if everybody agreed all the time.

Jim