19 Oct 2024 17:28:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 14 Dec 2007 19:26:44
Message: <47631f44@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:10:25 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Do you know who Abraham Lincoln was?  George Washington? Adolph
>>> Hitler? Julius Ceaser?
>>
>> What's that got to do with souls?
>
> I'll let you think about it first, for a while.  Ask yourself what a
> soul is, and what makes a difference between a live and a dead person.

The last couple of days have provided an opportunity (unfortunately) for
me to do just that - one of my coworkers' grandsons was killed in a car
accident yesterday.  He was about 12 years old. :-(

So yesterday was a little crazy, which is why I hadn't replied yet; I was
there when my coworker got the call from one of her daughters with the
news.

What it seems you're talking about (reading ahead to your next message)
is our self-awareness and our ability to learn from others based on a
model of expectation of how someone would react or behave given a certain
situation.

My initial thought (before the events yesterday) had been about the
differences chemically, biologically, and mechanically between a living
person and a dead person - not entirely unlike the difference between a
car that works and a car that doesn't work.  Both are machines (a car and
the human body), but people's self-awareness is the difference between an
animate object and an inanimate object - a car can't feed itself (unless
it's Speed Buggy), but under normal circumstances, we can.

I like your idea about immortality/reincarnation.  Going to have to give
that some more thought now. :-)

Jim