19 Oct 2024 15:07:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 14 Dec 2007 18:36:15
Message: <4763136f$1@news.povray.org>
Phil Cook wrote:
>> You have a model of the universe in your head, and in that model, you
>> have a model of yourself. That is your soul. It's what makes you
>> self-aware, and it's what makes you know the difference between good
>> and evil.
>
> But if you have a universe-modal aren't you by definition a part of that
> model and therefore conscious of your presence in that model?

Well, yes. That's precisely what we're talking about at this very
moment, isn't it?

> Take that
> squirrel who worked out how to get to the food table through the ramps
> jumps and swinging things, could he have done that without a
> universe-model and more importantly an awareness of himself. Do
> squirrels thus have souls?

Possibly. They're clearly self-aware.

>> You're self-aware because you can run simulations on yourself to
>> determine what would happen were you to do something. You don't need
>> to step off the edge to know you'd bounce painfully on the way down.
>
> But that's experience, almost Pavlovian;

Not necessarily. It starts out that way, but you don't *ever* need to
fall out of a tree so that when you see someone else do it,you go
"that's gotta hurt."

> What you seem to be saying is that self-conciousness equals soul,
> therefore dolphins and elephants that preen themselves before mirrors
> are ensouled. Wow that should annoy the 'humans are the best'
> fundamentalists :-)

Yep. You didn't ask me if it was the same soul the preachers talk about.
You just wondered if there is such a thing as a soul.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it