POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Nvidia acquires Mental Images (mental ray) : Re: Nvidia acquires Mental Images (mental ray) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Nvidia acquires Mental Images (mental ray)
From: scott
Date: 14 Dec 2007 08:49:31
Message: <476289eb$1@news.povray.org>
> The information I was is that Gelato Pro *won't work* with a GeForce card,
> but vanilla Gelato will. This suggests to me that they designed it to work
> properly in that configuration.

Oh I'm sure it works properly, but whether it works as quickly on a GeForce
compared to a Quadro...

> [I'm no expert, but the nVidia document I saw seemed to suggest that the
> Quadro cards are more geared to 2D optimisation than 3D. Not sure how that
> would help here...]

You mean this document:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro_geforce.html

Just looks to me like there is more flexibility built into the card, which
is exactly what you need when you're trying to off-load as much CPU work
onto the GPU as possible... (for example being able to have all pixel shader
IO in 32-bit per channel format looks useful from a general GPU programming
point of view)