19 Oct 2024 10:15:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Dec 2007 11:25:34
Message: <47615cfe$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:

>>> Do you know who Abraham Lincoln was?  George Washington? Adolph Hitler?
>>> Julius Ceaser?
>>
>> What's that got to do with souls?
>
> I'll let you think about it first, for a while.  Ask yourself what a
> soul is, and what makes a difference between a live and a dead person.

I just wondered if you wanted to continue this.  So, having thought
about how to try to put it in words...

A chicken doesn't have a model of the universe in its head. You put a
three-foot fence between a chicken and food, and it'll walk around the
fence. You put a nine-foot fence between a chicken and food, it'll walk
a little ways, see its getting farther away, and come back to the middle
without getting to the food.

Remember eating breakfast this morning. Think about it. Visualize it.
Where's the camera? Behind your eyes? Or can you see yourself?

You have in your head a model of the universe. Imagine yourself in your
bedroom, all the doors closed in the house, all the lights out. How
would you go to the kitchen? Get up, open the door, turn on the hall
light, maybe go down stairs, around that corner, turn on the kitchen
light, pull out the chair, sit down. Yet you didn't actually have to do
that to know that's what you have to do.

You have a model of the universe in your head, and in that model, you
have a model of yourself. That is your soul. It's what makes you
self-aware, and it's what makes you know the difference between good and
evil.

You're self-aware because you can run simulations on yourself to
determine what would happen were you to do something. You don't need to
step off the edge to know you'd bounce painfully on the way down.

You know good from evil because, being able to simulate yourself, you
can determine likely outcomes.  You also know good from evil because you
have models of other people in your head, too. You know your mom would
be insulted if you call her a bitch. You know, were you young enough,
that she would punish you for doing so. You probably even know what sort
of punishment, and you *probably* even understand *why* she would do so.

You have a bit of your Mom's soul in your head. Put there by love,
unless you had an exceptionally unhappy childhood, in which case it was
put there by fear and hatred. Bits of your Mom's soul will continue to
live in your head after she is gone.

You know you're not your Mom because the model predicting what your Mom
would do is flawed much more than the model predicting what you would do.

When you can model all the important aspects of someone in your head,
that person is on the way to achieving immortality, or perhaps
reincarnation might be a better word. Many attempt to model their
behavior on what they think Confucius would do. Since he was clear and
explicit and intentionally trying to tell people what he thought and how
he thought they should behave, many succeed to a greater or lesser
extent. But Confucius lives on.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it