POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : ODBC : Re: ODBC Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ODBC
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 13 Dec 2007 11:09:09
Message: <47615925$1@news.povray.org>

47614210$1@news.povray.org...
> Basically I want to develop a program that talks to a database. I was
> going to use ODBC to do this. But I don't have a database set up right
> now, so I was wondering if I could test it with a simple text file until I
> get round to setting up a real database. [Obviously a CSV file isn't going
> to even approach the speed of a half decent database engine. But I can
> test whether data goes in and data comes out.]

You can do some limited database work with text files (or Excel files etc.),
but that will mostly be limited to actions that can be done without
requiring indexes, i.e. SELECT and INSERT statements rather than UPDATE and
DELETE for instance. For testing a database, you'll need a database. MS
Access will do, and MySQL takes a couple of minutes to install on a PC.

G.