POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Ice storms : Re: Ice storms Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ice storms
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 13 Dec 2007 09:29:24
Message: <476141c4@news.povray.org>
news:47613160@news.povray.org...

> If it can dent plate steel, surely it can do something bad to the flimsy
> layer of bone between your hat and your brain.

Oh sure, if you get a direct strike. Your head's much smaller than a car
though, and the bodywork of a car's not that thick

> > Unless some people were stupid enough to be running
> > around in the hail, I doubt it.
>
> Ooo, a country that doesn't have stupid people...

Oh, we have, lots. Take a look at out politicians
The area's prone to hail storms. I think even the stupidest person's going
to seek some form of shelter if there are large chunks of ice falling from
the sky

> > Largest stones I saw were about the size of a ping-pong ball.
>
> I'd hate to think what the terminal velocity of those must be! (What do
> you recon? 81 characters per second?)

Dunno. Enough to leave a 5mm deep dent in the roof of my car, to smash
assorted windows and to strip leaves from plants.

We've had worse storms. There was one 2 and a half years ago that had some
stones the size of a baseball. The damage that caused was unbelievable. A
friend came home next morning to find several holes in the plastic roof of
her patio

> Presumably they just quaduple your premium and rake in the cash?

Nah. If the car had been parked in the open they may have refused my claim
(cause the car's supposed to be kept under cover), but last time I checked,
highways didn't have roofs