19 Oct 2024 08:23:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Dec 2007 00:33:03
Message: <4760c40f$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Sabrina Kilian <"ykgp at vtSPAM.edu"> wrote:
>> Tell me how, in any way shape or form, a 2 year old getting cancer and
>> dying painfully fits into any plan to make the rest of the world a
>> better place.
>
> A painful departure always creates a change of heart to those who stay.  It may
> also happen to those truly faithful, in which case I see it as provation.
>
>> Can God stop it if he wanted to?
>
> yes, He's God Almighty.

OK, so that answers the question. God is capable of stopping evil, but
chooses not to.

>> Why doesn't he?
>
> Maybe he wants to interfere as little in actions resulted from free will as
> possible.  Who am I to answer?

Sooo..... You believe that the 2 year old child is dying of cancer
because he *wants* to?

>> Why should I worship some one/thing that wouldn't stop these things from
>> happening?
>
> Because regardless of evil I have respect for the being that created all.
>
>> Show me an actual miracle.
>
> A miracle is born everyday.  Are you expecting something extraordinaire and of a
> big scale?

"""
A miracle, derived from the old Latin word miraculum meaning "something
wonderful", is a striking interposition of divine intervention by a god
in the universe by which the ordinary course and operation of Nature is
overruled, suspended, or modified.
"""

So, every birth is outside the ordinary course of Nature?

Yeah, when someone says they witnessed a miracle, I kind of expect
something extraordinaire. Sort of part-and-parcel of the definition of
the word.  Not too many mundane boring miracles happening. Ho hum.
Another person rises from the dead. Getting crowded here.

> is this good enough?:
> http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap061024.html

What's miraculous about that?  Wonderful, yes.  Amazing, yes. Outside
the realm of ordinary operation of the universe where the operation of
nature is overruled, suspended, or modified? Doesn't look that way to me.

> thing of how many souls will die and suffer in the collision!  Of course, it may
> be that such events are so slow that the intelligent beings there already
> fled...

Bwa ha ha ha.  OK.   You didn't actually even read the caption, let
alone understand the science behind it?

>> They were so common in the OT days, and Jesus
>> performed them on street corners.
>
> Those were the days of the covenant and God was more actively influencing the
> world.  Please, respect Jesus by not comparing him to some sort of David
> Blaine.
>
>> Why, all these years later, are we
>> asked to take it on faith that one book tells the truth and other books
>> tell lies?
>
> Because it is the Word of God.  Can it be all just a bunch of poems, folk tales,
> outright lies and hopes from schizoids or downright liars?  Yes.  How can I be
> sure it is true?  I can't.

Yet you're willing to condemn people to burn in hell for an eternity for
believing something different than you. Cool.

>> And my reason for not believing in the healing power of prayer is that,
>> simply, it never worked from where I saw it. I haven't seen cancer
>> disappear from prayer alone. I never saw limbs grow back, scars
>> disappear, or painful injuries simple go away.
>
> Man is not a reptile to have his limbs grown back.  Praying that much won't
> change God's laws ruling over physical matters, unless you're Jesus or another
> anointed one.

OK, so prayer doesn't work after all. OK.

>> while I disagree with your belief and simply don't agree with it, the
>> few quirky statements offering to pray for the 'non-believers' shows
>> that you don't really respect those who don't share your belief.
>
> sorry about the offer for pray.  It clearly generated more evil than good.
> fucked up world...

Only in some places.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)