POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2007 21:33:28
Message: <476099f8@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> I don't consider it
>> to be science fiction unless it's actually about the technology and how
>> people react to it. If you could take the story about war between worlds
>> with blasters, and set it down as war between countries with revolvers,
>> it isn't science fiction. On the other hand, if it's about how
>> technology affects people, even old technology then I'd call it science
>> fiction. Stories of how medieval peasants deal with the first knights in
>> armor would be SF in my book.
>
> a very good definition indeed.

I must confess, it is not mine. I don't remember where I heard it, but
it stuck with me since then.

I also like a series where a world is created, populated with a range of
people (or species), and presented. Larry Niven and Terry Pratchett both
do these very well.

(Heh. Nerdware. Apparently Firefox's spelling dictionary recognises both
those names. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it