19 Oct 2024 02:19:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2007 16:20:37
Message: <476050a5$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>> A religion where everyone actually believed the same things, and who
>> always won wars of oppression against them.
>
> not possible:  the devil won't let it happen.

So the devil is more powerful than God?

>> A religion where no baby of religious parents is born with birth defects.
> see original sin.

OK, we've established that baptism and acceptance of Jesus compensates
for original sin. Which means this is a bogus answer.

>> Jesus said that moving mountains is easy for anyone with faith. So, move
>> a mountain. Put Mt Fuji off the coast of San Diego for a week, and I'll
>> believe faith can move mountains.
>
> Mountains of problems.  Don't read things too literally:  Jesus used parables a
> lot to get his point across.

OK, let me ask *this* then. People witnessed Jesus performing a real
live honest-to-goodness miracle, namely using the evil eye to kill a fig
tree that was behaving the way God had intended. They asked Jesus "Hey,
how can *I* do miracles?"  Jesus answered untruthfully that all you had
to do was believe in him and you could move mountains.

Firstly, I don't imagine the answer there was a parable. It wasn't a
story, and it wasn't about morality. So I think you have the wrong word
there.

Secondly, let's say that Jesus was trying to impart subtle wisdom rather
than answering the question. What wisdom exactly do you think Jesus was
trying to impart?  You say it wasn't "you can move mountains with
belief." Also clearly, it wasn't simply "You can't do miracles, period."
So what in between do you think he meant, precisely?

Because I'm pretty sure that whatever you come up with, it'll be
factually incorrect.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it