POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VBA (Very Bad Answer?) : Re: VBA (Very Bad Answer?) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VBA (Very Bad Answer?)
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2007 14:58:24
Message: <47603d60$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> the sake of change, just for the sake of making it look&feel *different*,
> in many cases at the cost of reduced usability.

Well, they *are* trying to make a profit. It's understandable, even if
suboptimal. :-)

>   Well, MS had this "great" idea to change this behavior from clicking to
> hovering instead:

Yah, I hate that too. Actually, I think there's a switch you can set to
say don't do that, but I don't know if it disappears the menu if you
move away after you click. I'll have to try that.

>   Speaking of context menus, that's another step backwards MS took:

Smalltalk did one better years earlier. Context menus not only open
under the mouse, but position themself so that the previously chosen
menu selection is under the cursor. If you're pasting the same thing
into a dozen windows (because, say, you haven't yet automated
broadcasting restarts to your server farm), you don't wind up with the
mouse down in your lap before you're done.

>   Fortunately other systems have yet to copy the most braindead GUI ideas
> from MS. For example menus which change contents every time you use them.
> (I can't even begin to imagine how anyone could think that's a good idea.
> When MS wants to make changes just for the sake of changes, just to make
> a new Windows look different than the previous one, they will stop at
> nothing.)

Yah, well, that's for-fee software for ya. Gotta get people to buy the
newer version, ya know.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it