POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:14:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: stbenge
Date: 11 Dec 2007 20:13:41
Message: <475f35c5@news.povray.org>
Ross wrote:
> I think Herbert exposed organized religion for what it partly is. A
> manipulation of superstition for someone else's benefit.

No doubt. I'm not the biggest fan of religion myself. I see a
distinction between organized religion and *spirituality*. One tends to
lead toward inquisitions and holy wars; the other tends to lead towards
self-betterment.

> I happened to see the various theatrical incarnations of Dune before reading
> it. Thankfully, I think, I don't recall the details of them, except perhaps
> the Weirding Way was transformed into a wrist-wearable device in the 80's
> version? I remember a scene with a boulder...

Yeah, that scene was rather memorable.

> If I ever have a daughter, I might have to name her Alia.

It is a beautiful name, but you better keep her away from the kitchen
knifes ;) (not to mention the spice cabinet)

Sam