18 Oct 2024 12:16:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Tim Cook
Date: 11 Dec 2007 14:28:14
Message: <475ee4ce$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Tim Cook wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>> Well, would it be OK for me to say it's the work of Satan?
>>
>> Sure thing.  But Satan traditionally is an opposing force to 'God',
>
> Only in *your* tradition. Loki, Bacchus, and Pan aren't opposing forces
> to God. Well, maybe *your* God doesn't like them, but they aren't
> opposing (as you mean it) to the other gods in their pantheon.

But Loki, Bacchus, and Pan aren't 'Satan'.  "Satan" is traditionally an
opposing force to "God", though not all things referred to as "God" have
an entity to oppose them which is called "Satan", and there are also
entities known as gods which are assigned slightly less power than "God".

>> at the very least you've implicitly acknowledged *existence*.  XD
>
> Nope. Only if the "God" you speak of is the God of the bible, at which
> point you're not calling "what did what I don't understand" God. You're
> afirmatively saying "because I don't understand something, the God of
> the Bible exists and behaves the way described therein", which is
> nonsensical.

Hrm...I dunno.  See previous paragraph by me.  I personally don't
believe in the existence of a specific opposing entity known as Satan,
merely that Satan is a metaphor/scapegoat to excuse the evil actions for
which humans are individually and personally responsible.  To me, "God"
is the sum total of reality which, when considered as a single thing,
encompasses all consciousness and could embody more than what we
currently think of as existing.  Basically, in containing all
consciousness, the universe is itself conscious, though not necessarily
in a way analogous to what we think of as conscious, and in some way
that consciousness set up the laws of nature as they exist to allow for
reality as we know it to occur.  I call that "God".  Does it have an
active interest in human lives?  I have no way of knowing, but it is at
least unnecessary whether or not does or not.

Is something that *does* have an active interest in human lives and
can/does interact with them in any manner intentionally malevolent in
the sense that we understand?  I think so, based on my personal
experience.  Anything bad that happens is God's fault, as is anything
good that might (theoretically) happen, since God *is* everything, and
all activity is an integral part of God.

--
Tim Cook
http://home.bellsouth.net/p/PWP-empyrean