18 Oct 2024 10:20:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Alain
Date: 11 Dec 2007 11:21:23
Message: <475eb903$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/11 00:49:
> Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] rraznet> wrote:
>> Its almost a sign
>> of fundamental insanity for someone to suggest that this *hasn't*
>> distorted both the interpretation of historical facts that *are* in
>> evidence, and to strongly imply why some people would much rather
>> imagine ones that have *never* been in evidence, rather than admit that,
>> once again, the churches interpretation is the one that is badly out of
>> sync of reality.
>
> are all atheists really this boring?  That last sentence was pretty long, just
> as the hundreds of them before.  I had to skip and lost track.  sorry...
>
> you sound like Fox Mulder.  you know:  "I want to believe".  Because you're
> obsessed in trying to find physical proofs of Jesus existence.
>
> forget it:  he came as a humble man, too insignificant for the ones in power,
> but sufficiently of an agitator to receive death penalty... nothing too shabby
> to figure in official records...
>
> though I find it funny you don't mention the James Cameron documentary about
> Jesus tomb...

Put it simply:
Humans are curious.
Humans want to know why and how things appens.
When humans don't know, he's unconfortable.
When humans don't know, he seeks answers.
When he can't find an answer, he ultimately make one: Spirits, Gods and Religions.

So, all religions are attempts to explain a world that humans still don't
understand. He don't understand because he don't, yet, have the tools he need to
understand.

Now, make a distinction betwee dogma and theory:
A dogma proclaim something as "The Truth".
A theory propose something as an explanation of observable things and facts.

If you don't accept, or question, a dogma, then you are wrong by definition.
Iy you don't accept, or question, a theory, you are welcome do discus why you
disagree or question it.

You are not allowed to try to disprove a dogma, you are only allowed to prove it.
You are ASKED to try to disprove a theory, as well as prove it.

When you propose a theory, you tell peoples:
I've made some observations, or conducted some experiments, or performed some
studies. Here are my results, and how I got them. Now, here is my attempt at
explaning my results. I invite you to evaluate my results and explanation. I
invite you to remake my work and see if I made any mistake. Try to prove or
disprove it with every tools at your disposal. If you disprove it, to bad, but
please show me, and everybody, where I erred. If you prove it, tell that you
did, and how you did it.

When you proclaim a dogma, you tell peoples:
This IS The TRUTH! That Truth is absolute and immuable. Nobody can question The
Truth. If you don't agree with The Truth, you are an heretic, or just plain
wrong in the best of cases.

--
Alain
HAMMER:  Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as