POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : unexpected scale results : Re: unexpected scale results Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:16:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: unexpected scale results
From: scott
Date: 11 Dec 2007 09:45:33
Message: <475ea28d$1@news.povray.org>
>  How do you select whether you want to apply a transformation to a group
> of objects as if it was a single object with a common center point, or
> whether you want the transformation to be applied to each object
> individually,
> independently of the other objects?

You either apply the transformation to the group, or to all the items in the
group (usually an ungroup command will leave all the objects selected in the
group, so you can apply the transformation and then re-group).  Each
"object", whether it is a primitive or a group, has a centre point (that you
can actually modify if you want), all transformations on an object are
relative to the object's centre point.

>  Anyways, it's quite trivial to apply a transformation to an object in
> POV-Ray in relation to a defined local center point:

Yes, but if you've built a union of several objects, and then decide that
actually you want each one to be rotated by a certain amount, or scaled by a
certain amount, but to keep its position, it's quite hard work as you have
to manually add the transformations to every single object in the union.

All I was saying is that there are more efficient ways to do that sort of
thing in other software.