POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Now here's a good waste of time : Re: Now here's a good waste of time Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Now here's a good waste of time
From: stbenge
Date: 11 Dec 2007 02:23:34
Message: <475e3af6@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> thanks!

Hey, I just want to see people happy! (I'm beginning to think some
people don't believe in happiness [or they don't believe the present
quality of reality warrants the elicitation of said emotion <sheepish
grin>])

> It's certainly a nice change of pace.  Now let's bash ourselves to
> death over who's the best SF author out there or if Frank Herbert really wanted
> to start a religion with Dune... :P

Well, the first Dune was great. You know, the one with Sting. Only
kidding :) While I did enjoy that 80s theatrical masterpiece, I feel it
took too many liberties and expanded the idea of the Kwisatz Haderach
beyond it's original intention. In the book, you find out his powers
were more about near-perfect predictive abilities and genetic memory
(one of those things which may or may not exist), and less about magical
superpowers. Also, the movie said nothing about the Steersmen's
abilities to predict a safe passage through space. Either that or I
completely missed the reference. Oh well, there's only so much plot you
can squeeze into an already long movie.

>> http://www.freesfonline.de/
>
> nice link!  from there I already got to this little gem:
> http://www.neilgaiman.com/exclusive/shortstories/partiesstory/
>
> :)

Gonna have to read that tomorrow `:)

>> Poll: What do you like more?
>> a) hard science fiction
>> b) fantastical sci-fi
>> c) space operas
>
> a) for me with a bit of b) or else it doesn't really taste good.  c) only really
> for Star Wars... :)

I agree with you about a) because it's fun to entertain possibilites.

I not such a fan of b) because, well, I don't like plot holes and
over-exaggerated properties of physics.

But, with c), b) is okay because those stories tend to also entertain
ideas about politics and sociology. Star Trek is an example, I believe.
(why do I feel I've had this conversation here before...)

Sam