18 Oct 2024 04:32:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Dec 2007 17:37:02
Message: <475dbf8e$1@news.povray.org>
Grassblade wrote:
>> Have you ever seen an electron, or a single photon? How do you know they
>> exist?

> [Dumb]Because I'm told so?[/Dumb] :-D

Well, yeah, that's kind of dumb.

*I* am confident they exist because all kinds of things at the macro
level (computers, lights, drugs, etc) are created based on theories they
exist.

>>> Geometry is based on
>>> them, and space vectors too. Since there is no evidence of points' and lines'
>>> existence, I can claim with atheistic certainty, that geometry doesn't exist,
>>> and consequently neither ray-tracing.
>> Except they do exist.
> My point exactly.

Um, why are you claiming they don't exist.

>> They just don't exist "out there".
> Well, the Bible claims good and evil come from the heart.

I thought it came from a tree. Or from God. I'd be happy with religious
people who believe good and evil comes from the heart and not from their
God.

>> I'm not judging God.
> You said in an earlier post that God is evil. In the post I replied to, you said
> he was a SOB in the book of Job. That sounds like judging God to me.

Well, I suppose that could be interpreted that way, yes.

>> I'm judging the world around me, and I see that it
>> holds evil.
> So? That's men for you. (Huh, that came out weird :-O )

Ah, yes. The other religious standpoint. No matter what happens, the bad
is your fault, because my God is good. The mayans believed that too, as
they cut out peoples hearts. It was all for the best.

> I have a hard time believing that God isn't compatible with your beliefs.

Which one?  Yours?

> It's just an additional axiom. Unnecessary, apparently, but hardly colliding with
> other axioms.

Um, yeah, actually. It conflicts with other axioms. Like, with *every*
other axiom, pretty much.

Unless the god of which you speak does not intervene in any way with the
progress of the universe, then yeah, that god conflicts with my other
axioms.

Of course, *if* your only additional axiom is "God exists", and you're
talking about *your* God (presumedly JHVH), then that one axiom is a
whole bundle of axioms.

If you're talking about "God exists", *without* the "it's the god in the
bible", or the "jesus was his son", or "he wants you to worship him", or
"he created the universe", or "he cares what you do", or "he's the
source of life", or "he's good" or "he cares whether you're good", then
yes, it might not conflict, but it isn't useful to my life to consider
that possibility either.

(Please, when reading the above, actually read what I'm actually saying,
without reading into it your own assumptions and then arguing with me on
that basis. Thanks!)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it