POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Your favorite Age of Myst? : Re: Your favorite Age of Myst? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:17:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your favorite Age of Myst?
From: Ross
Date: 10 Dec 2007 16:06:43
Message: <475daa63$1@news.povray.org>
news:475d8547$1@news.povray.org...
> Warp wrote:
>>   I have two games of the series, and both are too difficult for my
>> taste.
>
> I'd be happy to give hints. Playing Riven without playing Myst is sort of
> like coming into a soap opera in the middle, tho. Lots of the fun is
> seeing how it links back to what you learned in Myst.
>
> There's also a great web site called "UHS" (Universal Hint System, I
> think). Google for "UHS Riven". You ask a question like "How do I work the
> elevator?" The first hint will be "It needs something somewhere else." The
> second will be "you already passed it getting to the elevator." The third
> will be "It needs a power source." The fourth will be "The power source is
> electrical."  By the time you get to the 15th hint or so, you have a
> pretty complete walkthru on how to solve that one puzzle.
>
> Which particular part did you get stuck on? One of the things I liked
> about Riven was that when I got stuck, and then later figured it out, it
> was like a "duh!" moment. Oh, well of course! That was obvious! (Like,
> where the dome on the island with the frogs is, for example; that took me
> quite some time to figure out.) But there were some really unobvious
> things, yeah.
>
> Exile, I thought, was a bit more straightforward. Pretty obvious what
> you're supposed to do (except right at the end). At least you know what
> the goal of each age is. :-)
>
> If you find Riven difficult, I'd suggest staying far away from Revelation.
> The skinny brother's Age (sirus?) was pretty much impossible to figure out
> without cheating. :-)

Riven was the only one I played, and like some others here I got stuck, then
lost interest, then one of the discs was damaged 2 years later when I tried
installing again. It was absolutely beautiful though. I would turn off all
the lights and wear some headphones like suggested. I was totally in awe. I
should go back and play the original then?

Does anyone have a site that has high quality screenshots of Riven? It would
make for some good desktop background I think. Off to search for some :)