POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Your favorite Age of Myst? : Re: Your favorite Age of Myst? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 03:15:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Your favorite Age of Myst?
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Dec 2007 13:28:23
Message: <475d8547$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I have two games of the series, and both are too difficult for my taste.

I'd be happy to give hints. Playing Riven without playing Myst is sort
of like coming into a soap opera in the middle, tho. Lots of the fun is
seeing how it links back to what you learned in Myst.

There's also a great web site called "UHS" (Universal Hint System, I
think). Google for "UHS Riven". You ask a question like "How do I work
the elevator?" The first hint will be "It needs something somewhere
else." The second will be "you already passed it getting to the
elevator." The third will be "It needs a power source." The fourth will
be "The power source is electrical."  By the time you get to the 15th
hint or so, you have a pretty complete walkthru on how to solve that one
puzzle.

Which particular part did you get stuck on? One of the things I liked
about Riven was that when I got stuck, and then later figured it out, it
was like a "duh!" moment. Oh, well of course! That was obvious! (Like,
where the dome on the island with the frogs is, for example; that took
me quite some time to figure out.) But there were some really unobvious
things, yeah.

Exile, I thought, was a bit more straightforward. Pretty obvious what
you're supposed to do (except right at the end). At least you know what
the goal of each age is. :-)

If you find Riven difficult, I'd suggest staying far away from
Revelation. The skinny brother's Age (sirus?) was pretty much impossible
to figure out without cheating. :-)

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it