POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural? : Re: Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Comfort level with wailing babies: is it cultural?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Dec 2007 17:28:34
Message: <475c6c12@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:13:51 -0500, nemesis wrote:

> some babies and children just enjoy crying.  I see no other possible
> explanation for it.  It doesn't matter how much love, tenderness,
> attention, dialoguing, appeals to reasoning or toys I give to my
> daughter:  when it's cry time, it's cry time.  and no, it's no known
> medical condition...

There's *always* a reason; crying is a means of communication.  Babies
just don't know how to communicate what's wrong in a way that we can
understand (yet).

My wife's approach was to treat Ken (when he was a baby) like an alien -
he knew what he needed or wanted, but couldn't tell her.

That was a key part of his survival; he had colic as a baby, which meant
that he spent a lot of time crying for no apparent reason.

Just because there isn't a known medical condition for it today doesn't
mean that there is no reason for it.

Jim