POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : infinite space under a height_field is "inside" it : Re: infinite space under a height_field is "inside" it Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:19:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: infinite space under a height_field is "inside" it
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 9 Dec 2007 02:35:41
Message: <475b9acd$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> I decided to run the same experiment on the other "triangle-based" surfaces POV
> offers-- bicubic_patch and smooth_triangle mesh--to see what their behavior
> might be.

These are different objects. A height_is is *not* represented as a mesh, it
is just traced as if it were a mesh. In particular note that the
documentation says a height field is solid, not a finite patch.

> The result is that neither of these objects exhibit the infinite-inside-space
> behavior that a HF does. (I tried every trick to MAKE the fog disappear, but I
> couldn't get it to.) So it seems that a height_field is the only
> "triangle-based open surface" object that does this.

Because it is a finite solid, not a finite patch. I am pretty sure the
documentation somewhere says that a height field is a solid and explains the
plane below. Either way, the purpose is the use in CSG.

	Thorsten