POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wanted: dealing with font style 'bold' and 'italics' : Re: Wanted: dealing with font style 'bold' and 'italics' Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wanted: dealing with font style 'bold' and 'italics'
From: John VanSickle
Date: 7 Dec 2007 18:25:08
Message: <4759d654$1@news.povray.org>
Leef_me wrote:
> Can someone suggest how to deal with font 'bold' and 'italics' ?
>
> I have started working with fonts and haven't found an answer from the docs or
> searching the newsgroups.

Can't help you with bold, as that involves changing the basic shape of
the text.

Doing italic text object in POV-Ray is easy:

text { ttf "arial.ttf","Some text",.1,0
   matrix <1,0,0, .1,1,0, 0,0,1, 0,0,0>
}

The matrix line italicizes the font.  The .1 setting slopes the text
over to a 10% grade.  You can go to .2 if you want very obvious italics,
but that's enough.

There is no way of telling POV-Ray that you want to apply whatever text
style you're used to using from your word processor; you have to
understand what actually happens to the shapes of the letters, and then
apply that change by altering the model accordingly.

Regards,
John