POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Wanted: dealing with font style 'bold' and 'italics' : Re: Wanted: dealing with font style 'bold' and 'italics' Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wanted: dealing with font style 'bold' and 'italics'
From: Alain
Date: 7 Dec 2007 16:22:03
Message: <4759b97b$1@news.povray.org>
Leef_me nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2007/12/07 01:43:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:
>> Bold and italics are on different .ttf files. For Arial, I have these files:
>>
>> arial.ttf //normal
>> arialbd.ttf //bold
>> ariali.ttf //italics
>> arialbi.ttf //bold and italics
>
> Thanks Nicolas,
>
> I tried to give all the details, I missed reporting that.
>
> I understand that there are some fonts with separate files like these.
> The particular font I wanted to use, doesn't happen to do it this way.
>
> Leef_me

The shear matrix is the way for italic. It's similar to the way used by word
processors and others to display italic when there is no italic version available.
Bold is harder to do. The characters remain about the same size, but the lines
are thicker. A way would be to scale up horizontaly and reduce the spacing
between the characters. It will be more like "whide condenced"

--
Alain
You *know* you've been raytracing far too long when you look at a heap of dirt