POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Also... why? : Re: Also... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Also... why?
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Dec 2007 07:52:24
Message: <47594208$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> The display on my mum's microwave oven is doing something strange.
>>
>> It's a backlit LCD. Usually it displays the cooking time as it counts
>> down. But now some of the segments only turn partially black. And
>> sometimes segments fire when they shouldn't. Very odd.
>>
>> Anybody have theories about why it's doing this? Is it likely to be
>> fixable?
>
> The LC itself it screwed (as in the optics/materials inside the glass),
> it happens a lot with these uber-cheap passive LCDs, they don't have
> very strict testing or quality requirements.  It's due to moisture and
> other contaminents getting inside the side of the glass and generally
> screwing up the electrical and optical properties of the LC (mostly
> reducing contrast so the disaply becomes less and less readable).
>
> If, however, the segments are perfectly black and white but just showing
> wrong digits, probably something wrong with the driver electronics
> (although seems unlikely).
>

> is likely to be more expensive than a new microwave...

Damn.

Well I only noticed it yesterday. Happened after I moved the machine
from one room to another. I was wondering if maybe it was just some
moisture or something and it might go away after a while. Or maybe I
just need to jiggle the display gently and it might work again.

But I guess not. :-S

Still, the oven still cooks food, so...