POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Also... why? : Re: Also... why? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Also... why?
From: scott
Date: 7 Dec 2007 07:49:29
Message: <47594159$1@news.povray.org>
> The display on my mum's microwave oven is doing something strange.
>
> It's a backlit LCD. Usually it displays the cooking time as it counts
> down. But now some of the segments only turn partially black. And
> sometimes segments fire when they shouldn't. Very odd.
>
> Anybody have theories about why it's doing this? Is it likely to be
> fixable?

The LC itself it screwed (as in the optics/materials inside the glass), it
happens a lot with these uber-cheap passive LCDs, they don't have very
strict testing or quality requirements.  It's due to moisture and other
contaminents getting inside the side of the glass and generally screwing up
the electrical and optical properties of the LC (mostly reducing contrast so
the disaply becomes less and less readable).

If, however, the segments are perfectly black and white but just showing
wrong digits, probably something wrong with the driver electronics (although
seems unlikely).

likely to be more expensive than a new microwave...