POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Why??? : Re: Why??? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 05:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why???
From: Gail Shaw
Date: 6 Dec 2007 23:52:39
Message: <4758d197@news.povray.org>
"John VanSickle" <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message

> Have you asked the boss why the system wasn't tested thoroughly prior to
> setting a date to go live?

My boss (head of the production support area) wants to know that too.

One of the problems we have is a lack of technical management in the
development area. Probably a business head set the date and no one had the
guts or authority to overrule. Or more likely the business head set a date,
the project manager said fine and no one ever consulted the developers.
That's happening far too often

The other issue to consider is that the year-end system freeze starts on
monday and no further changes are permitted to the production systems til 16
Jan.

> If there ever was a #1 rule for any complex system, it's got to be "make
> sure the *#%$@! thing works before you depend on it."

Why? Fixing stuff in production is so much fun and give the lazy support
staff something to do. Especially over christmas where otherwise they'd be
lazing around with their families. </sarcasm>

> And for contractors, the #2 rule should be "make sure their stuff works
> before you pay them."

It does work. For very loose definitions of work. In the development
environment

> And rule #3 is "An IT system is done when it is done; pressuring people
> to finish quicker will only increase the chance that they will deliver
> an unsatisfactory system."

I fully agree with you. I'm sick of the project managers setting
completion/go-live dates before the design is even started

The whole reason for this is because we were bought out last year and we
have to 'align our business processes with the parent company'