POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : stop the ride - : Re: stop the ride - Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:10:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stop the ride -
From: John VanSickle
Date: 6 Dec 2007 18:17:23
Message: <47588303@news.povray.org>
Kirk Andrews wrote:

> I think you will agree with me that there is enough food--somewhere--but
> instable governments prevent it from reaching those who need it.

I agree; the United States probably throws away enough food to
significantly reduce the suffering in at least one nation that is having
problems.  The problem is, as just about everyone here says, chiefly the
result of governments that fail to secure basic human freedoms (or, even
worse, actively abridge them).

The simple human right of keeping what one has produced is a deeply
unappreciated prerequisite for economic growth, and the stats back it
up.  The prosperous nations allow their people to keep a larger share of
what they've worked for, ensure that some criminal doesn't take it
either, and place fewer roadblocks in the way of self-improvement; the
nations that are chronically mired in poverty have higher rates of
taxation, less protection against non-governmental robbery, and higher
regulatory burdens on economic activity.

Regards,
John