POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Projecting a photograph on to a 3D model : Re: Projecting a photograph on to a 3D model Server Time
31 Jul 2024 02:26:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Projecting a photograph on to a 3D model
From: Chris B
Date: 6 Dec 2007 15:20:27
Message: <4758598b$1@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote in message
> "Chris B" <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote in message
>> light_source {<0,0,-400> color rgb 1}
>> plane {z,-300
>>  pigment {
>>    image_map {jpeg "Your_Image.jpg"
>>      filter all 1 once}
>>    translate <-0.5,-0.5,0>
>>  }
>> }
>
> AFAIK 'filter all' will only work with indexed images.

Hi Zeger,

In fact "filter all" works with the jpeg as posted. 'filter' followed by a
number seems to demand an indexed image.

> However, there's no need for such hacks, it's perfectly possible to
> 'perspective-transform' the image_map with functions.  As Nicolas Alvarez
> mentioned, Rune's illusion.inc can be used for just that.

Agreed that it's possible. I never said it wasn't possible to do it the
other ways, but it does get round a number of problems that you would run
into doing it other ways (unless Rune has foreseen them all - which he may
have done. He's a clever guy :-)), like getting your head round what sort of
projection you'd need for each building in the model and working out how to
suppress the backside of an image applied to an object.

Whichever way one approaches the problem the results would be pretty
imperfect because there are likely to be surfaces that were hidden from the
original view point of the camera and that therefore don't show up on the
original photo, so I figured it was worth suggesting an extremely low effort
alternative that may just happen to fit Mark's needs.

Regards,
Chris B.