16 Oct 2024 20:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: andrel
Date: 5 Dec 2007 19:01:07
Message: <47573BC5.3020500@hotmail.com>
Darren New wrote:
> andrel wrote:
>> That is not ethics, that is culture. You learn ethics by finding out
>> why the universe exist and what it's ultimate goal is. ... At least
>> that is how I did it
>
> Wow. Fill me in. How did you figure out the purpose of the entire
> universe and its ultimate goal?
>
> Seriously. I want to know. I'm not mocking you.

You forgot the last part '(granted, I still have to fill in some minor
details)'. This is one of those minor details. ;)

Of course there is slightly more to it. Some historical background: once
(~25 years ago) I decided to find out if I could take the nonexistence
of God as an axiom and see if you could still get a decent ethics system
from that. To my surprise I could do that, the logic may not convince
anybody else but it was OK for me at that time. Later I noticed that I
started behaving 'ethical', following my own rules. That was a bit
surprising too, because that really meant a change of behaviour. I was
e.g. extremely introvert, I am still not exactly extrovert, but I came a
long way. I am also much more friendly, laid back and tolerant for other
peoples behaviour than I was. Other changes are more subtle and not so
much noticeable for others. Over the years my views have changed
slightly but not the basic ones. In particular I kept the axiom of the
non-existence of God. Everything that I do or think somewhere rests on
that axiom. Just as much as other people may found their behaviour on
God's existence. In contrast to the atheist that Patrick seems to know I
am totally not evangelistic. If you believe in God, that's fine by me.
That does not mean that I as a person am not a convinced (read:
'axiomatic') atheist.
The logic may be a bit different than usual, but I knew that I really
struck gold when I discovered that my behaviour towards other people
with the same believe as mine would become undefined. So the other
reason that I am not evangelic is that I prefer not to enter that moral
minefield. (I know that that last bit is probably incomprehensible if
you don't fully understand my (twisted) logic, but I am afraid I can not
explain it for the same reason :) ).
Having solved this puzzle, I got back for an attempt to find an idea
that would answer the ultimate answer and could serve as a basis for the
no-God axiom. I found a couple and the one that is most likely to me has
the peculiar side effect that I now fully believe in predestination and
as a philosophical point of view I don't believe that time exists (yes,
I struck gold again). Reason number three for not being evangelistic:
  you'd think I am completely nuts. I might be, but I am perfectly happy
as it is.
Note to Patrick: you might think that if I tell you I am an atheist that
you know what I think and how I should behave. Believe me, you haven't
got a clue.