16 Oct 2024 20:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: andrel
Date: 5 Dec 2007 19:00:54
Message: <47573BB8.4050406@hotmail.com>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <475### [at] hotmailcom>, a_l### [at] hotmailcom
> says...
>> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>>> In article <4753b011$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
>>>>
>>> I would disagree too. You don't learn ethics by someone *telling* you
>>> that its bad, you do so by testing the boundaries of what, first, you
>>> parents allow, then society, and concluding, based on evidence, that
>>> there are **consequences** for acting unethically. Its only arbitrary in
>>> the sense that "sometimes" the rules are based on irrational projections
>>> of imaginary consequences, or misinterpretations of the magnitude,
>>> nature, existence or even the actual cause of real consequences.
>>>
>> That is not ethics, that is culture. You learn ethics by finding out why
>> the universe exist and what it's ultimate goal is. Use that as a basis
>> to explain mankind's existence and its final purpose. From that you can
>> derive what you as a person should do. At least that is how I did it
>> (granted, I still have to fill in some minor details).
>>
> One of us is using a completely crazy definition of what "ethics" means,
> and since yours is nothing like what *anyone* I have ever talked to
> uses, I don't think its mine. Just saying...

Mine wasn't a definition. It was a procedure to arrive at a set of
morals. If you follow ethics through the ages you will see that in most
cases ethics are passed down from one generation to another with or
without minor changes. There are however discontinuities as a result of
people (prophets) that follow my recipe.