16 Oct 2024 14:43:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 Dec 2007 17:41:21
Message: <4755d791@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 19:11:11 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> Just for the sake of argument, show me any case where blind faith that
> something is true has every turned out to be right, save by pure
> accident,

I do believe this is an unwinnable argument, though - if someone shows an
example of "blind faith", the obvious counter is "well, that was an
accident".

I am probably best described as emphatically non-religious, but I do have
a certain set of beliefs that could be described as "faith".  I have
faith, for example, that for me things will work out even when it looks
like they're not.  Consistently that has been my experience; I lost a
job, was unemployed for a period of months (4 IIRC), and I landed a much
better job than the one I lost (it's debatable whether I resigned or was
fired, but ultimately it matters very little).

Now, was it "blind faith" that I had that things would work out and that
I wouldn't lose my house?  Probably not - I didn't sit and wait for
something to land in my lap, but rather after a couple weeks started
trying to find something.  The connections I made over that time were not
expected, and I probably wouldn't have gotten the job if I'd applied
directly for it instead of the way I did (but of course we'll never know
if that's the case or not).  For me, that was a sort of faith that things
will work out better in the end.  It took longer than I would've liked,
but the end result was a positive outcome.

Someone once said "the harder I work, the luckier I am" (or something to
that effect).  There's an element of truth in that - so maybe instead, my
"faith" as it were, is that when the chips are down, I'm going to do
what's necessary to make things better.

Is self-faith blind?  I dunno; maybe not blind per se, but it is
certainly coloured by one's experiences.

Jim