16 Oct 2024 16:47:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: andrel
Date: 4 Dec 2007 18:21:29
Message: <4755E0FB.2040000@hotmail.com>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> By definition (I use the OED 2e for my definition here), Ethics is the
> science of Morals - also defined as "the moral principles by which a
> person is guided" or "The rules of conduct recognized in certain
> associations or departments of human life".
>
> Within that definition, I'd say Patrick hit it on the head as to what it
> is.
>
> FWIW.

I wasn't completely serious and apparently not entirely clear about that
(falsely assuming that the 'minor details' would be a dead giveaway). I
still think that my solution would fit the bill too, if ever it were
possible ;) .

What prompted the culture remark is that I think it is debatable whether
e.g. 'chew every mouthful at least 5 times' or even a rule that a man
should leave the elevator as soon as there is only him and a female left
is an ethical rule or just a cultural. Most countries and families have
strange rules that are incomprehensible for an outsider because there
seems no moral ground for it other than that is the way they do it.
Patrick's definition would include all those as well. I'd like to
reserve the concept of ethics for more important and more general rules,
but that may be me.