16 Oct 2024 14:44:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: andrel
Date: 4 Dec 2007 15:59:49
Message: <4755BFC6.6060309@hotmail.com>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> In article <4753b011$1@news.povray.org>, dne### [at] sanrrcom says...
>> Tim Cook wrote:
>>> Ethics is almost entirely
>>> arbitrary, aside some fundamental survival derivatives.
>> I would disagree, but that's OK.
>>
> I would disagree too. You don't learn ethics by someone *telling* you
> that its bad, you do so by testing the boundaries of what, first, you
> parents allow, then society, and concluding, based on evidence, that
> there are **consequences** for acting unethically. Its only arbitrary in
> the sense that "sometimes" the rules are based on irrational projections
> of imaginary consequences, or misinterpretations of the magnitude,
> nature, existence or even the actual cause of real consequences.

That is not ethics, that is culture. You learn ethics by finding out why
the universe exist and what it's ultimate goal is. Use that as a basis
to explain mankind's existence and its final purpose. From that you can
derive what you as a person should do. At least that is how I did it
(granted, I still have to fill in some minor details).