16 Oct 2024 12:16:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Dec 2007 23:11:13
Message: <4754d361$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> What "few words"?  What context do you think "thou shalt not kill" has
>> that isn't embodied in the old testament?

> Hmm. The world "kill", given that its use is **entirely** modern, the
> original text was Hebrew and ****they**** use a completely different
> word, just like we do, for kill vs. murder?

I already granted that I was reading an English translation and
therefore was several steps removed. That "kill" isn't what it says in
the old testament isn't really the point - the point is that Jesus, for
example, can't reasonably be said to provide context for the meaning of
the ten commandments, nor can Pope John Paul III, or etc etc etc.

If you're going to say "you're taking it out of context", and the
context I'm taking Genesis in is Genesis, then you need to explain how
something that happened after Adam died can provide context for what
happened to Adam in the garden.

> But, that opens a whole can of worms, because it becomes a bit
> problematic how you determine who legitimately gets to define the
> difference, and how, if God is the one defining the difference, you can
> *prove* that God actually told them, instead of them just claiming he
> did, even if they perform some silly card trick to try to prove it.

It also makes you wonder, if God had these 10 important rules, he would
allow them to be mistranslated. But all that's old arguments.

--
   Darren New / San Diego, CA, USA (PST)
     It's not feature creep if you put it