POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Does anybody know this? : Re: Does anybody know this? Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does anybody know this?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Dec 2007 12:51:27
Message: <4754421f$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 17:16:49 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Ahhhh, I was thinking you/we were talking about calling interrupts -
>
> Now you got me curious, and I pulled down my Ada textbook.

[...]

> Given all that, it still can be a pretty annoying language to use.

Yep, on that point we agree. :-)  I did always think the exception
handling being able to handle things at the hardware interrupt level was
cool in Ada.  Just not cool enough to justify the memory usage of
machines 20 years ago (which is nearly when I learned it, doesn't seem
possible it was almost that long ago).

>> I'm fairly sure I didn't write them
>> in assembler, but it has been 20+ years since I did that, so maybe I
>> did do that.
>
> I'm guessing you did the same sort of thing that old BASIC programs did,
> which was machine code in DATA statements poked into memory and then
> executed.  If your compiler translates integers to addresses in a
> straightforward way, it would be pretty easy to do that in C.

Very likely that is what I did.  Either that or I did inline assembly
since my compiler supported that option.  I used information/techniques
from the books Undocumented DOS (1e) and the Abacus book on DOS
programming.  Still have both of those on the bookshelf at home.

Jim