POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Project Euler : Re: Project Euler metadiscussion Server Time
11 Oct 2024 11:11:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Project Euler metadiscussion
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Dec 2007 04:50:59
Message: <4753d183$1@news.povray.org>
Mueen Nawaz wrote:

>> (Also, a number of questions give insufficient detail to figure out what
>> the correct answer is.)
>
> 	Can you give me an example? I haven't come across any thus far.

6 is not an amicable number because it's only amciable with itself. This
was not made clear anywhere, and it took an absurd amount of time to
figure out why my working program was producing the "wrong" answer.

There were several others like that... I don't remember which now.

> 	My recommendation about features (I actually have many, but this is
> often overlooked): Make sure they provide you SSH/Telnet access.
> Midnight Commander installed would be a bonus (must for me).

I wouldn't use Telnet if you paid me. SSH though... (And presumably SSH
means you can use SFTP too? I wonder if there are tools to synchronise
folders over SFTP...)

>> Personally, I find that as you come up with better algorithms it gets
>> *easier* to code, not harder. ;-) Maybe that's just because I use
>> Haskell... The Mathematica solutions are similarly easy.
>
> 	For me, that happens after more thought. Initially any advanced idea I
> come up with after a first attempt is ugly. Then I abstract a little and
> it gets nicer.

...or that, yes. ;-)