16 Oct 2024 08:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting Kenned Ham, without paying.
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Dec 2007 19:49:05
Message: <47535281$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 16:22:57 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Warp wrote:
>>   Yes. Take one single verse, remove it from the rest of the book, and
>> state that single verse, all by itself, is absolute, without even
>> understanding the context in which it has been written.
>
> Well, I think I'm pretty familiar with the context around the ten
> commandments, for example. They *still* seem pretty absolute.

I will probably regret saying this, even as a non-Christian, but in
debates I've had with others on this exact topic, the typical response is
"God can make exceptions - for example, if God commands you to kill, then
you aren't in violation of the 5th commandment, because God said to do
it."

That's not entirely unlike the exception in death-penalty state laws that
makes the person not pulling the switch not guilty of committing murder
when they pull the switch.

So, while I disagree with the fundamental idea of organized religion
itself, I can understand the idea that the context is larger than just
that section of Exodus where the 10 commandments are spelled out.

Jim